Messing with electrical appliances and components is serious business. Hello, my name is George Tanner. I’m a retired electrician. I can’t even begin to tell you how many horror stories I heard over the years of working as an electrician. People who thought they could quickly fix something in their homes but never should have even tried. Some got hurt and others were lucky. My goal here is to provide you with some guidelines as to what electrical malfunctions are easily fixable by nearly any adult, and what you should never attempt on your own. One thing you are going to hear me stress more than once is that electrical components are not to be taken lightly. We protect our children from them; we also have to protect ourselves. I hope you find this blog to be helpful!
Electrical problems can occur in your home at any time, but one of the most common is a power surge. When you experience one, sensitive electrical equipment can possibly be damaged. To protect your equipment, it is important that you understand why it occurs and what you can do to reduce damage.
What Is at Risk?
When a power surge occurs, your computers, security systems, and even garage door opener is at risk. The surge usually impacts electrical equipment that is reliant on a constant flow of uninterrupted power. However, other equipment can be affected, too. Appliances that rely on a lot of energy, such as washers and dryers and air conditioning, can also suffer from a power surge.
What Causes a Surge?
A power surge is usually the result of a motor cycling on or off. For instance, when your refrigerator cycles on and off, a power surge can result. A power surge can also result from a lightning strike. The strike leads to an excessive amount of voltage being sent into your home.
Faulty wiring could also potentially be to blame for power surges in your home. If you have sensitive electrical equipment, it is important that you take action to protect it.
How Can You Protect Your Equipment?
The most obvious method of protecting sensitive equipment is to use a surge protector. The protector works by suppressing large amounts of voltage that are sent through your home's electrical wiring. Any equipment that is plugged into the protector is safe from the increased electricity. However, there are other solutions that could work better for your home.
Another option is the use of an uninterruptible power supply, or UPS. The UPS works by intercepting the voltage surcharge through your home's electrical wiring and filtering it through a system. Once the voltage is at a more acceptable limit, it would be used to fulfill your home's electrical needs. UPS systems are typically only used for protecting the most sensitive equipment in the home.
If the problem continues, it is time to call the electrician. There could be a wiring problem to blame for the surges, which means your home is now a fire hazard. The electrician can determine the source of the surges and resolve it.
Although power surges are a common occurrence, they can be an indication of a much bigger problem. If you are experiencing constant power surges, it is important that you seek professional help.
To learn more, contact a company like Sun Coast Electric & Networking Inc.Share
27 July 2015